Friday 8 April 2011

Why bother with make-up?

I was one of these girls who protested against make-up. My first time wearing foundation was when I was 17 and attended my school formal/prom. And I asked, "Must I wear it?"

So whats changed from now and then?

My attitudes towards make-up have seriously changed. I went to a school, filled with girls who wore make-up incorrectly, scrubbing their foundation on like they were icing a cake, leaving the collars of their shirts very obviously orange and having a serious tidal wave at their hairline. And when the foundations with 'skin brighteners' for 'a more natural look' came into fashion… well… that was… attractive. They looked like oompa loompa's that decided to roll their faces in a pile of iridescent glitter… like an orange Edward Cullen before his time came into fashion.
(Not that I'm dissing the Twilight… I am a fan… just not to a point of ridiculious-ness *COUGH buying into the Twilight cosmetics COUGH*)

So attending the school of make-up disasters warped my view of make-up. I also fell into a group of friends who wore little make-up, making a bit of eyeliner the most they'd ever wear. One of my friends was not allowed to buy make-up until she was 16 and another was a tomboy who didn't like dressing up.

I always enjoyed experimenting with eyeshadows and progressed to eyeliner when I hit my rebellious, gothic stage when I was 13-14. So when I was bought eyeshadows as gifts, I always played with them and wore eye make-up at the weekends or evenings.

I bought my first face powder in 2010 and used it to help disguise dark circles. I used a cheap blusher from a cheap palette bought to me as a present from one of the kids who attended the youth club I volunteered at. It was around this time when I found the YouTube beauty community and began to watch and follow Petrilude, XSparkage, Michelle Phan and BubzBeauty. And so, now I have a full standup set of drawers full of cosmetics and I'm seriously debating getting another set.

So theres my make-up story done. Lets get this party started and get some hauls and reviews and tutorials on here to fill it with prettyness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment